Friday, November 2, 2012

Week 5. Reflection

    My Rubric

    Research Report : Research on English Language Teaching


CATEGORY
4
3
2
1
Organization
Information is very organized with well-constructed paragraphs and subheadings.
Information is organized with well-constructed paragraphs.
Information is organized, but paragraphs are not well-constructed.
The information appears to be disorganized. 8)
Amount of Information
All topics are addressed and all questions answered with at least 2 sentences about each.
All topics are addressed and most questions answered with at least 2 sentences about each.
All topics are addressed, and most questions answered with 1 sentence about each.
One or more topics were not addressed.
Quality of Information
Information clearly relates to the main topic. It includes several supporting details and/or examples.
Information clearly relates to the main topic. It provides 1-2 supporting details and/or examples.
Information clearly relates to the main topic. No details and/or examples are given.
Information has little or nothing to do with the main topic.
Sources
All sources (information and graphics) are accurately documented in the desired format.
All sources (information and graphics) are accurately documented, but a few are not in the desired format.
All sources (information and graphics) are accurately documented, but many are not in the desired format.
Some sources are not accurately documented.
Mechanics
No grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors.
Almost no grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors
A few grammatical spelling, or punctuation errors.
Many grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors.
Notes
Notes are recorded and organized in an extremely neat and orderly fashion.
Notes are recorded legibly and are somewhat organized.
Notes are recorded.
Notes are recorded only with peer/teacher assistance and reminders.
First Draft
Detailed draft is neatly presented and includes all required information.
Draft includes all required information and is legible.
Draft includes most required information and is legible.
Draft is missing required information and is difficult to read.
Paragraph Construction
All paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.
Most paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.
Paragraphs included related information but were typically not constructed well.
Paragraphing structure was not clear and sentences were not typically related within the paragraphs.
Graphic Organizer
Graphic organizer or outline has been completed and shows clear, logical relationships between all topics and subtopics.
Graphic organizer or outline has been completed and shows clear, logical relationships between most topics and subtopics.
Graphic organizer or outline has been started and includes some topics and subtopics.
Graphic organizer or outline has not been attempted.
Internet Use
Successfully uses suggested internet links to find information and navigates within these sites easily without assistance.
Usually able to use suggested internet links to find information and navigates within these sites easily without assistance.
Occasionally able to use suggested internet links to find information and navigates within these sites easily without assistance.
Needs assistance or supervision to use suggested internet links and/or to navigate within these sites.
Diagrams & Illustrations
Diagrams and illustrations are neat, accurate and add to the reader\\'s understanding of the topic.
Diagrams and illustrations are accurate and add to the reader\\'s understanding of the topic.
Diagrams and illustrations are neat and accurate and sometimes add to the reader\\'s understanding of the topic.
Diagrams and illustrations are not accurate OR do not add to the reader\\'s understanding of the topic.



Project Based Learning 

In this week I am going to share concerning with my thoughts to you.
The first article that I read was Focus on Basics: Less Teaching and More Learning" by Susan Gaer at http://www.ncsall.net/index.html@id=385.html 
I was so amazing in reading it. It is remaining me when I was teaching at Senior High School. Seeing from the title of the article can be inferred that learning based on the student center. We are as the teacher especially for me does not have to speak a lot in front of the classroom or spend much time to explain the material from the beginning of the class till the end of the class. In this case the student will not be treated as well listener as listening the radio. However, they will be treated as the doer. Meanwhile, the function of the teacher here is a moderator or facilitator. Where, the teachers just control the student in presenting the project. It seems that the term of “teacher talks less and the students do more”    
Regarding with Courtney's questions, I am trying to elaborate my answer based on my perception and I wish I can do in right way.
1.      How can PBL be used to help motivate students more?
Based on my introduction above that taken from Susan Gaer's article, and I really do agree with the author, PBL enables "less teaching and more learning". When I was in Senior High School’s teacher, I explained the students about “the procedure text” It was similar with the author way. In this case I asked them to take stove, noodle, and praying fan from their house. I asked one group to present the way of cooking noodle meanwhile the other students wrote the procedure of they cooked. And it worked. I did not have to speak much to them because they knew everything that they would do. It was amazing for me. Even I explain in different example of PBL but it seems that PBL really help motivate students more in doing the task.
2.      How can PBL be incorporated with technology in your class - or alternatively what limitations are there to using PBL in your class?
I am really sure that everything can be incorporated with technology to enhance the value of the project. In the other word it can give high quality of project by incorporating it. And regarding with the limitation I give them some motivations to stimulate their desires to work then if they still do not want to do the project I give chance to find out the project based on his/her ability. My consideration is impossible for me to ask them to do something that she/he cannot do. So that is why I offer them free to do as their project.
3.      What is the role of rubrics and/or alternative assessment within PBL?
Of course, the rubric has important role to measure the student’s knowledge/skill. It is dealing with the student’s score. It can separate the score between the student who has excellent skill and who has not. In the other word, it is going to make sure the student’s level.
4.      How can PBL, rubrics and/or alternative assessment be used to promote independent learning?
I think PBL, rubrics and/or alternative assessment can be used to promote independent learning. The reason is very simple namely the students need a guideline (rubrics) when they are going to do something. By having it, they will know exactly the real consequences if they are not active or lack of activeness or do nothing within their own project. In addition, they are going to be interactive, creative, and innovative students with their own styles.

Problem Solving

First of all, I am going to say "sorry very much for my posting last week. I did not focus to the question therefore I made big mistake, I sent to many problems" However on this week I would like to take one of them namely "Motivation" as my main problem. In this case, the students do not have good motivation to go with my lesson even though they come to join it but most of their activities are silent in the classroom. They do not have good motivation to learn as I expect from them by giving comment, questions, opinion, find out the other sources, discussion etc., dealing with the lesson. It is kind of attending the class and  listen my explanation then going home. It is an easy job for them.

Regarding with the problem solving, I am going to teach my students by using computer that is connected to LCD. It means that I am going to teach them by creating power point and try to create good slide show. Actually this is my second option where Blog and Email are my first option. In term of bad internet connection that's why I prefer Power point presentation to Internet connection.

By having good power point presentation that is made by me or their classmate. Day by day they are going to know how to make it and finally their ability/knowledge will be more than I expect in teaching media.

The benefit that can be found:

1. In presenting the material, they will find some sources dealing with the topics and share it to their classmate afterward by using Flash Dish or CD

2. They can teach their students at Junior/Senior high school by having Power Point Presentation after graduating from IKIP mataram.

3. we don't have spend a lot time to explain the lesson as I did before (the material is read/explained by teacher manually). It is a kind of monotonous activity for them.

4. It will make them famous/familiar with the technology

5. It will make the teaching and learning process become more interesting and be creative students.

6. Teaching and learning process will be focused/centered on students activity.


I wish can get a lot of experiences from you more.

Best regards,

Muhamad Suhaili






2 comments:

  1. Hi, Muhamad,

    I can tell that you did a great amount of work this week. The rubric that you created was very detailed. I have never seen a rubric with so many points that need to be assessed. I think the details are amazing.

    I think that training your students who will be teaching students in junior high and high school requires a lot of technology training of you to them. I work with university students, so I always assume that they know how to use basic skills on the computer like powerpoints. So, I think it is great that you are starting with the basics, like powerpoint training and getting the students used to projecting and delivering their powerpoints. They have to be familiar with these tools before they can pass them onto their younger students.

    I hope that you had a good experience this week in this course. It requires a lot of work, but it is worth it!

    Take care.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Muhamad,

    I agree with Evelyn, your rubric is quite detailed. You have managed to cover absolutely every aspect of a good research report, from start to finish, in this rubric. Great work!

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts on PBL. I was excited to hear that you had done a cooking project with your students and found success with it. I think it is the fact, that as you said, the learners are the "doers" and not the listeners that really makes this approach successful. PBL does promote independent learning and when done well students thrive.

    Your post this week shows how truly busy and engaged with the material you were. I'm glad you gained a lot from week 5!

    ReplyDelete