Thursday, October 18, 2012

Week 3.Reflection

Hi everybody


Delicious is delicious, I do not have any suitable words to describe it detail. Actually, I like it very much for the consideration that I have something new in my life again and make me easier to see, to share, to save everything regarding with documents in my world. However, I realize that this is my first experience in my life. It means that everything which happens for the first time makes me really confused to operate it such as a simple thing is making an account. For me, The newest thing give me a great challenge, I must think or make lot of considerations dealing with it in both written and oral form. I always worry that I am going to make some mistakes for my future. The dangerous thing in my mind happens before doing it. In the other word is hard for me to make a decision even for a small thing. There are a lot of things in my mind. I have to think a lot even though I am going to the right way. I cannot change my bad habit promptly. The sound is funny but I admire that is real.

I tried to learn the project report by Aleyda Linares, National Pedagogical University, Honduras

After learning her project, I like it with the consideration that she told me the way of teaching through the application of technology in detail. So far, her explanation in form of written was very clear starting from the background, problem, setting, goals, student's need, response, solution, etc. Something new that I seldom use within the classroom. In term of the technology application, Actually I like it very much particular in using blog and email. It seems that make me easier to conduct the teaching and learning process.

She told most of her students access computers at home and for about 4-5 were not because they were so busy and did not have time to work outside the university. After reading hers, in one side I was happy because they are very active and in other side I was not happy because most of the technology used was not used by me. It can be called that all of the students able to did everything they wanted. They learn through G-mail, Blog, email, power point slide show, computer, Language laboratory, word  processor programs, VCD, etc., they browsed some learning resources through internet connection, and they write reflection on their journal. It was amazing. In short, They learn everything is done through the application of technology.

Those ways invite me to teach my students by having it. However, not all of those things can be applied in my classroom. I am interested to use Blog in my class as I use in this course. The students can write down their project report, assignments, questions, read and learn from their friend blogs, etc. The strongest consideration is I teach in large class number and suitable with the students at university level. The author and I have different class situation. Nevertheless, by having the situation which is explored by her, I can learn much apply some of those media for the future.

Not the least, I am going to change my class situation as I can based on my condition.

I am going to let you know about teaching aural/oral skills.

The first article that I have read is Developing Listening Skills with Authentic Materials.

There are three activities in Developing Listening Skills with Authentic Materials.

http://www.elthillside.com/up/files/article4.doc

Stage 1: Pre-Listening Activity

Pre- Listening Activity is very important thing to do before going to other activities. In my understanding, it is a kind of brainstorming. Everything must be asked to the students dealing with the topics. This activity will help much the student to go further. They are going to know the concept that will be learnt. Or in the other hand, it can be called such as “Pre-questioning”. It means that we try to give the questions to the students which direct them to the real questions or post listening activity.  

Stage 2: While- Listening Activity

While- Listening Activity is the main activity before having the Post-Listening Activity. I state that because the students are unable to do their post-activity without having listening activity to the speaker. The students must focus to listen carefully in order they can do the next activity. To direct them in answering the post test, we can ask them to find the answer of 5-W and 1-H instead of: When? Why? Where? Who? Which? and the last is How? By having those questions within the students’ mind will direct them to the next activity easier.

Stage 3: Post- Listening Activity

Post-Listening Activity is a kind of evaluation after having Pre- and While- Listening Activity. If the student cannot answer, or do the tasks on this activity means that they do not focus to the first and the second activity. Therefore, it can be inferred that the last activity is much determined by the previous activities.
Regarding with the recommendation, in my mind this site is good for the student at senior high school and student at university (Medium and high levels). The students at my Institution are good to have it. I am going to use it if I were Listening lecturer.

The second article is Get out of the classroom 1

http://www.onestopenglish.com/skills/speaking

In aural/oral skill building, speaking most important skill to be mastered by the learners. After having this site. I think that is very useful tip for the all learners/level and teacher/lecturer as well to build up their knowledge in teaching speaking. Speaking activity cannot only be done in the classroom. As I know, speaking in the classroom will make the student bored and finally they do not want to study speaking class anymore particular for the student who English as the second language/foreign language. As a good lecturer, she/she must find some god tips for each levels in teaching speaking class especially for them who learn English for the second or foreign language. Speaking in the classroom is a kind of monotonous activity. They are bored to see their classmate even their teacher/lecturer every time in the classroom. They need something new and refresh in learning it. That is why this tip is very useful for all levels. It is more relax, freedom of thinking, and such kind of mind refreshing. In the other word is learning by doing, seeing, and experiencing. The activities are very simple and easy to do it as retelling story based on what they have done, seen and experienced outside of the classroom. The level much depends on the topics itself. It can be suited based on the vocabulary election. How difficult of the vocabulary determine the student ability to speak in speaking class.

In term of recommendation, I recommend this site for all levels (basic, intermediate, advance level) for the reason that we will not end to speak as long as we still alive.










Thank you, Courtney and all participants

Best regards
Muhamad Suhaili

1 comment:

  1. Hello Muhamad,

    I agree with you that delicious is a wonderful tool. It does help us in getting rid of overloading the task bar of the overload. You have very nicely summarized the pre, while and post listening activities.

    I agree with you that giving the students a chance to speak is a good idea to save them from monotony. It is also a good idea to introduce new activities. I also recommend onestopenglish for all students.

    Looking forward to your participation this week as well.

    Ashish Pande

    ReplyDelete